Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Conflicker/NMAP

From: "Harry E Flowers (flowers)" <flowers () MEMPHIS EDU>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 10:50:56 -0500

I have to disagree with your parenthetical statement on #2... patching is necessary even if you can protect the boot
image.  Some attacks take place in memory and you'll boot a nice clean system only to have it become infected because
it wasn't patched.  Also, solutions that allow changes to the disk but revert them on reboot are susceptible to this
for disk-based infections.  Sure, you only have to reboot to get rid of it, but you're also still open to immediate
re-infection until you unlock the image, patch it, and re-lock it (all of which needs to be done off the network once
you've gotten behind on patching).  Patching is not optional if the system is on a network or even has other media
(like thumb drives or CD's) inserted occasionally, which is another way Conficker (see, I got back to something related
to the subject line ;-)) spreads.
--
Harry Flowers
Manager, Systems Software