Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

netflow

From: "Youngquist, Jason R." <jryoungquist () CCIS EDU>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 10:50:02 -0500

I was wondering if anyone uses any free/Open Source netflow products to
capture netflow information.  We currently have a commercial product
which captures netflows and has Network Behavioral Anomaly Detection
(NBAD) capability, but I'm looking at alternatives.  We are already
using MRTG (and Cacti) to get bandwidth information, so I'm looking for
netflow tools that have the capability to dig deeper into the flow data,
ie. to zoom into a traffic spike and determine the "top talker(s)" for
the particular time period, the port, destination IP, etc.

Please email me directly if you use a neflow application (Open Source or
commercial) which has good analysis capability.

Thanks.

Jason Youngquist

jryoungquist () ccis edu