Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Administrative v/s power user Access for Staff and students

From: Kevin Shalla <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 15:28:24 -0500

The local departments control the access level.  Some give
Administrator, others give User.  I've set up my office to use
User.  The good thing about this is that since I've been doing this
(cross my fingers), I haven't had to re-image a machine - if I cannot
remove malware, I can simply save some known useful files, delete the
offending profile, create a new profile and reload the files.  I get
a few more calls now to update software, but I'm happy to oblige,
given the reduction in successful malware attacks.