Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: User Privilege Levels.

From: "Stanclift, Michael" <michael.stanclift () ROCKHURST EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:36:53 -0600

Nearly all users, except for IT staff, are given Power User access to "their" machines, and general user access to
others. We enforce this through group policy so that our techs cannot give them access and forget to take it away, they
have to get approval from our the network staff.

There are a handful of users with regular administrative access to their machines, but they must agree that if their
machines get boogered up that they're basically on their own in getting stuff backup and reset. We also make them go
through our NAC (CCA) where as normal users we do not (since they don't have admin access to fix it.)

We only do this after trying all other options and it's mostly a case of a poorly written piece of software they "must"
use for their jobs. (Our athletics department has a few stats programs that require this.) We'll reimage it for them
but beyond that it's pretty much out of our control. We only have done this for users we know understand basic computer
security.

I've been trying to convince the powers that be to implement some type of mandatory security training program for all
staff users.

Michael Stanclift
Network Analyst
Rockhurst University