Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

User Privilege Levels.

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 10:46:28 -0500

We're in the midst of planning a rollout to Active Directory for our end
user authentication, and so we'll be joining all college-owned end user
computers to the domain. I'm curious about privilege levels. What sort
of access are other institutions giving their users to their computers?

* Are your users granted Administrative power over their own machines?

* Do you have a uniform level for all employees, or does it vary by
position?

* Can an employee move between schemes, applying for greater access
after passing a security training test or some similar mechanism?

Thanks for any replies. Feel free to respond off-list, if you like.

--Matt

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-8378
Information Security Administrator  graciem () canisius edu