Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability Assessment Scanner qualysguard

From: "Beechey, Jim" <beechey () NORTHWOOD EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 16:41:31 -0500

Jason

Sure, no problem we are using Qradar from Q1Labs.  Certainly not open source, but we are very pleased with the product.
 Qradar can either be a SIM/SIEM or just log management, but we went the full blown route.  We view it as our security
console for most of what we do and try to integrate everything we possibly can.

One thing to mention about VA integration is there are several different levels from what we saw during our evaluation.
 Sure, importing an xml results file is nice, but having the ability to schedule scans from the SIM, have them
automatically login to the VA system, run the scan, return the results and populate the data into the asset profiles is
really nice.  The only caveat with Qualys is since they are constantly updating their product (good thing), the
integration can break so having a responsive vendor is important.

Budget justification wasn't easy, but not terrible.  I definitely had to sell it though.  Our institution is tends to
favor commercial solutions rather than open source, depending upon the support/installation requirements.  Spending
money on technology over head count is definitely preferred.  While I didn't say I wouldn't come for head count in the
future, I did feel this would delay requests.  We had no centralized logging and no flow collection either so this took
care of both needs.  I illustrated the time/effort required to track down a few incidents from the previous year vs.
what "could have been" with a SIM.  The other area where you can help yourself in justification is getting the
operations folks involved.  These tools have so much to offer network and server admins beyond the obvious security
benefits, even some reports/dashboards for execs.  Pretty charts and graphs never hurt right?

Hope that helps
Jim