Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability Assessment Scanner qualysguard

From: "Perry, Jeff" <perry () KU EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 16:27:21 -0600

Anand,

We just recently completed a project to test and acquire new vuln scan
systems for our campus.  I briefly looked at Qualys as that is what our
third party auditing firm uses (and thus we've seen a lot of Qualys
reports).  A major concern of our team was the SAAS (software as a
service) nature of the product.  I.e. they store and maintain your all
you scan data (or so we've been told by many people).  Our concern there
was that we use the scan data for many things and integrate scan data in
to other tools/products (such as asset systems and SIM systems for
correlation).  We also have multiple way we do scans (inside, outside,
through firewall, behind firewall) and wanted the flexibility of a
system we could integrate easily and still have that flexibility.  That
said, in the end, we did not trial the product in-house.  If you want to
converse about what we chose and why send me an email.  Sorry to reply
to list, your message didn't contain your email address.

Best of luck,

Jeff Perry
Manager, Security Services and Operations
IT Security Office
The University of Kansas
perry () ku edu