Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Compromise Email Accounts

From: Zach Jansen <zjanse20 () CALVIN EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:05:53 -0500

Prevention
----------
- User education - with thousands of new students each year, this is a big
  challenge.  How do you accomplish it effectively?

We have some indication that user education has helped. Repeated October awareness campaigns, direct emails to people
who fall for the attacks, and alerts when a widespread attack occurs. All of these have weaknesses. People are
overwhelmed with communications and ignore them, 25% or so of students leave every year, etc. It helps but clearly
can't be relied upon. When you think about the numbers, even if an awareness campaign was 95% effective, that's still
way too many people responding.

- An effective anti-spam solution is critical - if phishing messages are
  getting through, it will increase likelihood of compromise.
- Any other ways of preventing accounts from being compromised?

Detection
---------
- Monitor queue lengths.

Yes. We also investigate any incidents to find out what address the victim replied to and search the logs for anyone
else who replied to it. This helps prevent future misuse. Blocking replies to known phishing response addresses helps
stop a number of people from successfully responding. In my experience most people won't respond twice if you point out
to them that they fell for a scam.

- What else can be monitored?

Containment
-----------
- Do you allow students to use IMAP/POP/SMTP or are they required to use a
  web interface (this can potentially reduce the scope of attacks)?

What we've seen is that compromised accounts will be utilized via webmail not via IMAP/POP.

- Do you throttle outbound email and if so, how do you accomplish this?
- Do you scan outbound mail for spam?  If so, how do you deal with false
  positives?
- Any other containment measures?

Cleanup
-------
- Cleanup will largely depend on the mail architecture used.
- Disable compromised account.

yes, also finding out if anyone else responded to the same message.

- Clean out mail delivery queue
- Any other advice?

It's interesting to note that Symantec's "Report on the Underground Economy" lists the value of email passwords as
$4-$30, credit cards run from $0.10-$25. Email passwords have more value than credit cards on the underground market.

You might consider automated methods for dropping/blocking email from anyone who sends more than a few hundred messages
at a time.

Zach
--

Zach Jansen