Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: recommendation for a cissp bootcamp

From: "Lovaas,Steven" <Steven.Lovaas () COLOSTATE EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 08:26:32 -0700

Since this is a *higher education* security list, I have to chime in here. Don't
get me wrong, I see value in technical training such as SANS provides. But the
CISSP has never been about certifying technical knowhow. It's about a broad
awareness of the field, the kind you need if you're going to be talking security
both to network/system folks and to management/finance/legal as well. It's about
breadth, of the kind you get in a Master's degree. When there *were* no MS
programs in infosec, taking boot camps and the like for the CISSP was the best
way to get that kind of knowledge (other than live experience).

But now there are a number of great degree programs at all levels, and we ought
to be encouraging our peers -- the ones who want to get into security in some
depth -- to be acquiring academic credentials. After a master's program, you can
walk in and take the CISSP exam with no further preparation and not break a
sweat!

Some of these high-quality programs are online, and can be done from the comfort
of your gaming console (I mean, PC) while working full-time. I happen to be
partial to the program at Norwich University, where I got my MS and have taught
from time to time. My classmates are all out working in the field, and I've had
many doors open to me (including a PhD program) because of the knowledge and
contacts I made there.

So I won't bash SANS and all the rest... I just don't think they're the
appropriate answer to every question.

Steve

Steven Lovaas, MSIA, CISSP
IT Security Manager