Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: what is the Campus Collaboration Project?

From: Matthew Gracie <graciem () CANISIUS EDU>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 14:04:57 -0500

Bob Bayn wrote:
We have recently been spammed by the Campus Collaboration Project.
The email messages came with various subject lines, various sender
addresses and various hosts.  The messages were all pretty much the
same and referred to their website by a bunch of aliases including
"CampusWise.org", "StudySocial.org", "StudySimple.org" and others.
The website lists several "featured schools" and I'm wondering if
anyone on this list from those schools can confirm that any real
collaboration has been established between the campus collaboration
project and:

Arizona State University Ohio State University New York University
University of California - Berkeley University of Illinois -
Champaign/Urbana

We've been getting a lot of these emails, as well. I thought that the
first set was just some Facebook-wannabe that wasn't above spamming as a
marketing technique, but getting nearly identical messages from all of
these different domains is casting it in a more sinister light.

--Matt

--
Matt Gracie                         (716) 888-8378
Information Security Administrator  graciem () canisius edu