Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Tenable License Agreement

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 17:00:53 -0400

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:43:00 CDT, Chris Green said:

That's language our Legal department won't accept under any circumstances.

Did your Legal people explain *why* they won't accept it, and/or give possible
alternate wordage they would find acceptable?  I *think* what it's saying is
that if you use Nessus against (for example) a computer that happens to be
embedded in medical equipment, and the Nessus scan crashes the NT4 SP2 system
inside it and somebody dies, you can't sue Tenable.

I'd be surprised if *most* EULAs and software licenses that your site has
either negotiated or click-through'ed don't have similar language - they usually
disavow all liability they legally can.  What's in the Tenable agreement that
isn't in a Microsoft or Oracle or <fill in the blank> license, that gives your
legal people the willies?