Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Residential (Dorm) Network

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 12:27:22 -0400

Daniel Bennett wrote:
I am interested in hearing how your University handles their Residential
Network.  Is it isolated through Firewalls, ACLS?  Does it have
dedicated bandwidth?  How do users access internal College resources?
Do they access resources through a VPN?

Our residence halls are on their own VLANs. We use ACLs to limit access
to the general campus network. However, a default permit policy is in
effect and very few services are blocked. Instead, student address
ranges are blocked at the resources they are not to access.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer