Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Outbound SMTP

From: Tim Cantin <tcantin () WELLESLEY EDU>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 11:32:54 -0400

Ø  Sorry…having a real bad day here…I’m hoping my first two questions could
be answered by Tim at Wellesley.

Ø  Sorry for this post.  It was not meant to be sent to the group.  But
since it was, I thought I’d follow up with a few questions of my own.

Haha, no problem Randall J we all have bad days!

Ø  Matt…how easy is it for you to make changes such as this without seeking
permission first.  I envy you a bit.  We struggle sometimes at making some
of what appear to be even most obvious changes.

Changes like this aren’t too difficult here, and being a women’s liberal
arts college we don’t have a lot of power technology users to “oppose” us.
(We have a harder time getting downtime to do the darn maintenance than any
decisions around what the maintenance actually is that we’re doing!) A
long-standing, well-attended committee called “IS Technical Managers” meets
every two weeks where decisions are made about what the changes are and how
and when they get implemented. If they are real big ones we bring them to
the VP, but those are rare.

Ø  Also for Matt…how many “exceptions” did you have to allow to pacify
users.

9 hosts, belonging to 5 unique people; of which 3 are faculty (CS, Math, and
Astronomy run their own servers) and 2 are staff (both of which are for
outsourced server solutions for their departments).

-Tim

---

Tim Cantin, Senior Network Engineer

Wellesley College, IS/Technology Infrastructure Group

223 Simpson Hall East, 106 Central Street
Wellesley, Massachusetts 02481-8203
http://www.wellesley.edu/~tcantin/
<BLOCKED::http://www.wellesley.edu/~tcantin/>
phone: (781)283-3520 fax: (781)283-3682