Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Risk regarding remote login services

From: Kevin Hayes <krhayes () OAKLAND EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 14:12:01 -0400

We are doing the same thing here at Oakland.  Staff & faculty fill out
a VPN Request form so that we have an audit trail, and then they are
allowed access to our Juniper IVE VPN system.  We use DDNS so once
they connect via the VPN, they can simply RDC to their hostname.

Vendors can have VPN access as well as long as they have a contract
with the University; the IVE is nice that we can restrict which IP
addresses they can access once they connect.

Kevin Hayes
Network Security Analyst

233 Dodge Hall
Oakland University