Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Risk regarding remote login services

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:23:56 -0400

Basgen, Brian wrote:

 I'm working on ways to adequately assess the risk of
solutions like LogMeIn, GoToMyPC, etc. The main concerns that
I have so far are: (1) traditional end point security issues;
(2) source addresses are essentially masked by the service;
(3) these solutions are user managed/not IT controlled (no
policy enforcement, for example); (4) confidential/sensitive
data being sent through a third party in an unmanaged way;
(5) the security of the third party becomes axiomatic to your
institution.

 The last four points, in particular, seem to make these
solutions distinct from traditional VPN offerings.  I don't
want to get into making spacious arguments about why this
solution is problematic, but it seems difficult to latch onto
specifics considering such an open field of possible risk.

 I'm curious to know institutions that allow one of these
solutions, and how they employ it. I'm also curious to hear
from those that prohibit it, and what justifications they use
for doing that.

Use of GoToMyPC is discouraged but not controlled. Any Internet
exposure of a service, whether it be RDP or SSH, must be
requested. During the handling of the request, we encourage limiting
access to VPN connections or specific addresses but we do not
demand it.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer