Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Encrypted Thumbdrives

From: Jesse Thompson <jesse.thompson () DOIT WISC EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:59:52 -0500

James M. Dutcher - VP IS/IT & CIO wrote:
Charles,

Best open source - TrueCrypt
Best vendor solution - IronKey

I agree with this, but you should also distinguish between hardware vs software encryption. Data encrypted with software-based encryption (e.g truecrypt) is subject to offline attacks, so it could be broken with enough computing power. Data encrypted with hardware-based, or hardware-protected-software-based encryption (e.g. ironkey) in theory cannot be subjected to brute force attacks. Having said that, I personally use truecrypt on a standard 1GB usb drive.

Jesse

My two cents worth

Regards,

Jim Dutcher - VP IS/IT & CIO - SUNY Orange