Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Encrypted Thumbdrives

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 09:55:00 -0400

Bombard, Charles L wrote:
Have you looked at a particular product? Have one you really like?

I am wondering what other people have found in looking at USB thumbdrives that have built in encryption and/or have utilized software based encryption such as truecrypt that can be included on the drives un-encrypted area.

We're just starting to look at this area. Given the wide range
of hardware and the constantly changing technology, TrueCrypt
is very attractive though operator education is a challenge.

Another area of concern is untrusted hosts. There is a lot of
malware out there that understands USB drives and that will
spread to them if a write protect switch is not available.
We saw a sample that copied the contents of a USB drive
to one large file on the infected host and subsequently tried
to communicate with systems in China. Encrypting the data at
rest will protect against what is probably the most common
threat, loss of the media, but doesn't protect the data if the
device is plugged into a hostile host.

There has to be a very good reason that sensitive data is
placed on portable media and user education about safe
usage of the portable media is at least as important as
technology.

I am currently demo’ing a SafeStick Business edition thumbdrive.

I will be looking at a truecrypt solution too.

I thought there had been a discussion about this a while back but I could not find it in the archives.

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

-Charlie

Charles Bombard, GSEC

LAN/Systems Administrator

Community College of Vermont

119 Pearl Street

Burlington, VT 05401

802.657.4234

bombardc () ccv edu <mailto:bombardc () ccv edu>

PRIVACY & CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message is for the designated recipient only and may contain privileged, confidential, or otherwise private information. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original. Any other use of an email received in error is prohibited.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer