Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Experiences with Web application vulnerability assessment (1) software (2) companies

From: "curtw () siu edu" <curtw () SIU EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 23:09:14 -0600

I've used various webapp assessment scanners over the years and
have found value in them, especially for the bruteforce-try-out-
many-directories-and-filename issues and generic SQL injection
indicators, but they only go so far. Manual assessment has been
of more value to me, however it usually takes a long time. Using
Paros, webscarab or other proxy (I'm wanting to try out Burp but
haven't had the opportunity yet) and carefully analyzing how
things are being processed has been very useful.

I'm curious to know others experiences with consultants and
vendors when webapp assessment is not performed in-house. I'm
sure I'm not the only one who struggles to keep up with this
fast moving area while keeping up with many other fast-moving
areas at the same time (and trying to keep some sanity!)

cw