Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Experiences with Web application vulnerability assessment (1) software (2) companies

From: "Hull, Dave" <dphull () KU EDU>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:41:37 -0600

I have used Web Inspect, but it's been a year and a half. My experience
was that it was decent, but like many similar products had a high number
of false positives nor does it catch everything.

For really critical web applications nothing beats a well trained Q&A
team with time, tools and access to the source code. Again it's been a
year and half since I have done line-by-line code review professionally,
but at that time it was more effective at finding flaws than any of the
automated tools I tried. Obviously it's not as fast to do it by hand.
It's that old trade off between fast, cheap and accurate. Pick two.

--
Dave Hull, CISSP, GCIH, GREM, SSP-MPA, CHFI
Director of Technology

"The free world says that software is the embodiment of knowledge about
technology, which needs to be free in the same way that mathematics is
free."
-- Eben Moglen, Software Freedom Law Center