Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Visual Interpretation of Internet Threats

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 09:37:01 -0500

Sadler, Connie wrote:
This may be a strange request, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of attempts to make visuals of Internet threats. One of the big issues we face is
the fact that people don't see the threats, and what they don't see, they don't take seriously. Metrics help, demos help, and good stories
help, but if anyone knows of some visuals that can help people to actually "see" the threat, or a representation of the threat, I'd LOVE to
hear about it.

Graphs showing attack frequencies and access violations can help.

I've often thought of putting together a real-time demo with a live
graph and sound. One click for each event. Things like:

1) mail server detected viruses
2) network access rule violations
3) IPS/IDS detections

Maybe compare that to lists of software security defects,
configuration vulnerabilities, and exposed computers
and services.

The sound, though, may be one long buzz :)

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer