Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA timestamps off

From: "Sweeny, Jonny" <jsweeny () IU EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:03:51 -0400

Jordan, we've been evaluating the same predicament.  In the past we've
chosen option #2.  We'd just prefer that the timestamps be accurate ;)
because:

* the flow analysis is very time-consuming for us as well, and
* it is not our responsibility to correct someone's timestamps that are
off.

I'll agree with what many folks have said since my initial post last
Tuesday:  In most cases, if we look through NetFlow data and connection
(vpn,dhcp,dialup) logs, we are able to identify the user responsible for
the traffic that the RIAA timestamp meant to identify.  However, if the
timestamp was during a time when no one was using that IP address, we
just bounce the notice back with an explanation that their timestamp is
off.

Unlike some Universities, we do not examine the computers or search for
the files so I cannot say anything regarding how many were truly guilty
(though we do not have many file counter-notices when flows do 'confirm'
that we've ID'd the right user).

--
~Jonny Sweeny, GSEC, GCWN, GCIH, SSP-CNSA
Incident Response Manager, Lead Security Analyst