Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Slow Cisco Vpn performance!

From: Christian Hroux <Christian.Heroux () ETSMTL CA>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:45:56 -0400

Hello !

            We use Cisco VPN concentrator and most employees use the vpn with their own pc at home.  This might be a
security risk and also a situation much harder to support but we mitigate de risk by limiting the vpn access to some
port and inspecting traffic with IPS. Some users have reported very slow performance only when using university
resources through the VPN.  All the test point out to the cisco vpn client  4.8  we use on windows XP. The only way to
improve speed was to optimize windows XP TCP/IP stack with  http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe in  the
user`s pc.

            This doesn`t seem to be MTU related issue since we varied this parameter during test with the user who was
having problem.

            Let me know off line if you had that kind of complaint from user.

Christian Héroux

Bacc Ing. ÉTS, M. Ing. Poly, étudiant MBA HEC, Ing jr.

Analyste de l'informatique

(Sécurité réseau & Télécom)

Section systèmes, infrastructures et télécommunications

École de Technologie Supérieure

1100 rue Notre-Dame ouest

Montréal, Québec

H3C 1K3

Tél : 396-8800 (7863)

 "Network design is 50 percent technology, 50 percent diplomacy, 50 percent magic"