Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Acceptable Use Policies.

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:01:51 -0400

Matthew Gracie wrote:
We're looking for a way to compel users to agree to revisions in our
AUP; right now, we simply update it on the web page and email the users
to urge them to go there, but we'd like to have a little more
accountability on an account-by-account level.

Unfortunately, we don't have any sort of campus portal, so that's not an
option. Also, since we're a very heterogeneous network (with Windows,
Mac, and Linux endpoints) we'd need something platform neutral.

How are other institutions dealing with this?

--Matt

Much as Roger says, we (a) display the AUP when we have folks go through
the NAC process (every 28 days, the place goes crazy!), and (b) the
button below the fields for userid and password is labeled "I agree"
instead of "logon."

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"If you lend someone $20, and never see that person again, it was
probably worth it."