Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: email threats

From: Bob Bayn <Bob.Bayn () USU EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 15:05:20 -0600

At 03:52 PM 9/4/2007, Mark DeSerio put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
Does anyone have procedures in place regarding email threats
to their college? Such as certain key words in a message would
get forwarded to personnel to handle the email threat.   This
would be bomb threats and threats to employees. The recent
occurrences at other colleges that have be in the news our
college is interested in what other schools have in place for
email threats.

Roger Safian replied:
We let our police department deal with threats.  personally,
even if I suspect that the threat is likely nothing to be
worried about, I don't want to be the person who makes that
decision.  Especially if it's the wrong one.

Are these threats that you detect somehow or that the recipient
refers to you?  If the former, then how do you detect them and
what else have you found during the search?

Bob Bayn
IT Security Team
Utah State University