Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Pre Production System Accreditation

From: "Jones, Dan" <Dan.Jones () UMASSMED EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2007 11:39:25 -0400

Chad,

I think the initiative is right on the mark.

I'm finding that it can be beneficial to start with the data owners.
Under NIST 800-18, (1.7.2 and 1.7.3), the SYSTEM OWNER and the
INFORMATION OWNER have responsibility for establishing the rules of
behavior and developing the system security plan. Working with the
system and information owners to help them develop solid requirements
(ensuring that the bar is high enough) helps to clarify what must be
done in the next project phases.

The next component is to help the technical staff to identify and deploy
solutions that will meet the business requirements as defined by the
data owners. NIST 800-18 was helpful in establishing where these various
responsibilities should rest.

Helping the data owners develop good standards which safeguard their
funding sources... and helping the systems administrators meet the
business requirements (being a SME for both camps) is a better place to
be than plain ol' policy for policy sake.

This approach is being embraced by those who have grants that set the
requirements for security. Once security becomes common practice in that
arena then people will be more familiar with better security practices
and start to apply them elsewhere (one would hope).

Best,

Dan Jones
IT Security Manager