Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: OT: vendor contacts after list posting

From: Paul Russell <prussell () ND EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:59:11 -0400

On 4/11/2007 14:32, Sarah Stevens wrote:
I realize that you may not appreciate the cold calling from vendors
> regarding their products and services.  I can understand that this can
> become overwhelming.  However, there is another perspective to look at
> here as well.  I own an information security company.
I'd like to believe that I provide a valuable service and
> that I can continue to participate on this listserv as a valuable asset
> instead of "vendor scum".

Sarah described one of many ways that a vendor may choose to interact with
other members of this type of forum. I, for one, have no problem with this
approach. I have no problem with vendors who provide meaningful replies to
specific questions. I have a problem with vendors who use my subscription
on a 'security' list as justification to bombard me with marketing dreck
about every 'security' product and service they are trying to sell this week.

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team