Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Web-based file sharing/dropbox apps (was RE: Secure file transfers)

From: Wyman Miles <wm63 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 14:57:57 -0400

Someone in student academic services wrote Cornell's, so I know little more
about it than its existence.  The one I wrote for Rice was nothing more
than a fairly good-sized swath of disk space with an authenticated CGI at
the head of it.  Users could supply a destination e-mail list and a file,
we'd store it and send out a time-sensitive URL containing a sanitized
filename (we did some Windows to UNIX translation) along with an MD5 of the
file.  Seven days later, the file was gone.

You'll want to build in some sort of guest upload access so your users can
extend the use of the tool to non-campus users.  And you'll definitely want
automated expiration for both files and guest accounts.  And some heavy
auditing of the latter.

Wy

- --On Monday, May 07, 2007 1:43 PM -0500 "Dugan, Darin D [EIT]"