Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Large edu's doing NAT campus wide?

From: Kevin Shalla <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 11:23:33 -0500

How long do people set the time for NAT bindings?  Is that the same
as the lease time?  I would have figured that it would be closer to a
day than a minute.

At 04:45 PM 4/30/2007, John Ladwig wrote:
NAT also severely complicates interactions with Law Enforcement at times.

LE: "I have a connection to Yahoo.com from your IP a.b.c.d at this
time (measured in minutes, not seconds) - can you identify the user?"

IR: "That IP maps to several hundred hosts behind a NAT, with a
30-second inactivity timeout on the NAT bindings.  Can you be more
specific about source port information for our IP and timing down to
sub-second, ideally?"

Fortunately,  so far we haven't had any life- and safety-related
queries from LE that went down this path.

    -jml

>>> "Scott O. Bradner" <sob () HARVARD EDU> 2007-04-28 20:10:31 >>>
> Is anyone aware of a study of large edu's who are doing NAT
> campus wide?

makes answering DMCA complaints quick :-)

Scott