Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: 10-space is L..A..R..G..E (was Re: Large edu's doing NAT campus wide?

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () UTC EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 11:14:36 -0400

Clifford Collins wrote:
I would rather find a way to actively route all traffic from the
unassigned subnets to something I can use to detect the presence of
rogue devices.

I earlier wrote "Install a lowest-priority static null route to 10.0.0.0/8 at your core" to discard the rogues.
Looking at it now, that isn't clear.  I meant a "lowest-priority static route for 10.0.0.0/8 *to* null".  This of
course will only discard packets that have a *destination* on an invalid network.  If your core switch/router supports
uRPF, and you have it turned on, this will also discard packets with a *source* on an invalid network.

As for "redirecting" packets sourced from an invalid network, you can do this with some extra trouble with policy
routing, along the lines of:

  route-map catch-invalid-sources permit 10
     match ip address invalid-nets
     set ip next-hop your.tarpit.ip.address

  ip access-list standard invalid-nets
     deny   10.10.x.x   0.0.255.255   (say that 10.10 is valid)
     permit 10.0.0.0  0.255.255.255   (while any other 10. is not)

Policy routing is going to cost you some horsepower.  Your mileage may vary.

Jeff