Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: 10-space is L..A..R..G..E (was Re: Large edu's doing NAT campus wide?

From: Glenn Forbes Fleming Larratt <gl89 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 10:52:24 -0400

I can't speak to Buz' suggestion and other layer 3 issues.

It's not clear to me that a connected host can function effectively
without an ARP entry for it in the router, unless it's a really clever
malcontent who's compromised another host on the same subnet and
can work through that compromised host. Polling the ARP tables satisfies
the "80" component of 80-20, at least - probably more like 99.n% of
devices of any sort on your networks can be detected this way.

Your polling logic will probably need a little bit of intelligence to
detect, for example, someone running a tarpit, lest you be tricked
into scanning your entire /8 anyway.

I set up an ARP history recording package at a previous place of employ
that got excellent data by polling every three hours. At my current
place of employ, they poll the routers every 10 minutes for the same
purpose. Cisco gear, to the best of my recollection, caches ARP table
entries for four hours in its out-of-the-box configuration, and it's
rare in my experience to need to change that facet of its operation.

I have had the experience with other vendors' gear that it caches ARP
entries for non-local IP's - i.e.

   downstream i/f,downstream IP,downstream MAC
    :{remainder of inside IP's and MAC's}
    :
    :
   upstream i/f,www.google.com,inside MAC from border router