Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Sensitive data detection

From: Josh Drummond <jdrummon () UCI EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:38:26 -0700

I'd be interested in hearing people's feedback about the issues with
high false positive rates and 9 digit SSNs in evaluating these
tools.  Most the datastores I come across here store SSN without
hyphens, and creating regexs for any combination of 9 digit numbers
has always returned high false positives, so much so its borderline
useless.  There are some special rules for SSNs, but nothing like
creditcard luhn checks.