Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop Encryption Software

From: "Lovaas,Steven" <Steven.Lovaas () COLOSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 10:39:21 -0700

Gary,

I'll touch on only one of your points for now: "why others were choosing commercial solutions over the native EFS". Not
MS-bashing here, just pointing out some realities.

1) Without a PKI, XP allows you to turn your encrypted file into a digital brick. Looking to make the experience better
from 2000 (where you had to designate a recovery agent before you could turn on EFS, but the default recovery agent was
the domain adminstrator account and you couldn't change that without a Microsoft CA), Microsoft changed XP to allow
turning on EFS without specifying a recovery agent. The first user to do that would likely be a Vice President, and
then he'd forget his password and one of us would be looking for work elsewhere :) So the way key management works
between 2000, XP and Vista varies significantly... And if you have all three in your organization, you'll need to work
carefully if you use the Microsoft approach without a PKI.

2) The Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards specify, in version 1.1 section 3.4, that Active Directory may not
be used to manage logical access to protected files. While this is a single regulation, it supports the more generally
held notion that if you really want to protect sensitive information (and that's why you want the encryption, right?)
you need to keep it secure from hackers and worms that operate within a user's logged-in session. This points toward
using third-party or custom internal products.

So neither of these absolutely recommends against MS encryption, but there are some gotchas. Plus, since Bitlocker
needs Vista and specific hardware, we've decided to do a third party approach to be more inclusive.

Steve

Steven Lovaas, MSIA, CISSP
Network Security Manager
Academic Computing & Network Services