Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Laptop Encryption Software

From: "Lovaas,Steven" <Steven.Lovaas () COLOSTATE EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:38:50 -0700

The State of Colorado issued an RFP last year for a laptop encryption product for use on every laptop in state
government agencies. The law requiring this got changed a little to exempt higher ed (the law was about more than
laptops - it authorized the office of state CISO and required IT security plans and event reporting), but higher ed can
still buy into the state bid. Based on a state-wide purchase, the price is likely to be pretty nice.

So, pending the announcement of the final contract price, we're looking at the winning product: the SafeGuard suite of
products from Utimaco. Their basic full-disk encryption product is called SafeGuard Easy.

Meanwhile, we've been using TrueCrypt as a stop-gap solution, and offering central key escrow to departments that
request it. So far, requests for that service have been very limited.

Steve

Steven Lovaas, MSIA, CISSP
Network Security Manager
Academic Computing & Network Services