Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: spam return address backlash

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 09:21:07 -0500

Roger Safian wrote:

Greetings,

In the last couple weeks we have seen several of our
addresses used as the from address in spam.  This
causes few serious problems, but does generate an
increase in the number of spam complaints to our
abuse aliases.

It does cause a serious issue if the chosen address
used by the spammer, also happens to be a real
address in use here at Northwestern.  We have
heard of people receiving hundreds of bounced messages
per day if this happens.  We recommend filters,
but there's little else we can do to stop this.

My questions are two.  Is this happening elsewhere,
and if so, have you recently noticed an increase
in this activity?

I haven't been made aware of a significant increase
though I've received a handful of complaints from
people the past few weeks who thought they received
SPAM from JMU due to the spoofed address. Maybe we've
been lucky so far or if anyone has been the victim
of backscatter they haven't called.

Virus use of spoofed local addresses has been much
more common than SPAM use to this point.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer