Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: passworded screen savers with timeouts, do you enforce?

From: Harold Winshel <winshel () CAMDEN RUTGERS EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 23:15:07 -0500

I think those are excellent points - security incidents having an
affect on the public perception of the institution which can then
reduce public support for state schools and also hurt student recruitment.

Can also have a negative affect on faculty recruitment - with
potential faculty wondering why the college can't keep their data
secure.  Can also hurt alumni contributions - they may be less
interested in giving out their credit card information if they think
the school can't keep the information secure.   Could be the same
concern for anyone who might use a credit card to buy anything from
the school - for example, buying tickets to a theater or sporting event, etc.