Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

2006 ResNet Security Survey results

From: David Futey <dfutey2 () YAHOO COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:39:46 -0700

(Please excuse cross postings)

  The ResNet Applied Research Group is pleased to announce the release
of the results of the 2006 ResNet Security survey. These results
capture details of residential computer network security practices at
and policies of 101 institutions. The survey results are located at:
http://www.resnetsymposium.org/surveys/2006securitysurvey.htm

Security is one of the most pressing concerns of higher education IT
professionals.  For the third year in a row, respondents to The Campus
Computing Survey indicated that network and data security is the
"single most important information technology issue confronting their
institution" [1].  For the past 4 years, Security and Identity
Management has steadily climbed the ranks of EDUCAUSE's Issues Survey
and is now the "number-one IT-related issue in terms of its strategic
importance to the institution" [2].  As indicated by the responses to
the 2005 ResNet Survey, many IT professionals who specialize in or
work with residential computer networks share this concern;
respondents to the 2005 ResNet Survey ranked "Security" as the
foremost challenge they currently face and are likely to face in the
near future [3].

Informed by our own original research and assisted by security
professionals affiliated with EDUCAUSE and Internet2 security working
groups, the ResNet Applied Research Group conducted a survey in spring
2006 of college and university computer network professionals to
identify common trends in and approaches to residential computer
network security challenges.  Respondents told us who determines and
enforces security policies, what kinds of network traffic is blocked
and how, how bandwidth quotas and security requirements are enforced,
and more.

For more information about this survey or the ResNet Applied Research
Group, please contact:  resnetresearch-l () lists uncg edu.  We welcome questions and suggestions about this and other
ResNet research.  We are a volunteer group of IT and Housing professionals and we always welcome new members interested
in learning more about their profession and contributing to their professional community.

Dave Futey
Member, ResNet Applied Research Group

[1] Green, K. (2006).  Wireless Networks Reach Half of College
Classrooms; IT Security Incidents Decline This Past Year.  Available
at http://www.campuscomputing.net /summaries/2006/index.html

[2] Dewey, B. DeBlois, P., & the EDUCAUSE Current Issues Committee
(2006).  Current IT Issues Survey Report, 2006.  Available at
http://www.educause.edu/apps /eq/eqm06/eqm0622.asp

[3] ResNet Applied Research Group (2005).  2005 ResNet Survey Section
8 - Challenges.  Available at
http://resnetsymposium.org /surveys/data/Section8.pdf

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls.  Great rates starting at 1ยข/min.