Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Music download service...

From: Herbert Baines III <Herbert.Baines () OIT GATECH EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 09:16:54 -0400

At 05:30 AM 10/6/2006, UGA InfoSec wrote:
All,

Questions:

How many of you offer music download service for your schools?

GT offers Ruckus music and video services

Which service do you use?

Has it been widely accepted and utilized?

We have the largest hit rate of any school participating in the program

Has it slowed-down the DMCA notices?

Month/Year Total-Infringements
8/2004 = 36
9/2004 = 142

8/2005 = 23
9/2005 = 78

8/2006 = 13
9/2006 = 45

What affect on bandwidth has it had?

None if you have 1gb - 10gb networks

Does anyone have an on-campus website they can show me,
introducing/explaining the music service?

Hint - do not let IT champion this cause, it is better received if
you allow the VP student Services or Dean of Students to "help" sell
the service to the campus.
http://www.nique.net/issues/2006-09-01/news/2

-Herb

Thanks to all,

University of Georgia
Office of Information Security
Athens, Ga
<mailto:infosec () uga edu>infosec () uga edu
http://infosec.uga.edu

CONFIDENTIAL OR PRIVILEGED:  This communication contains information
intended only for the use of the individuals to whom it is addressed
and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or
exempt from other disclosure under applicable law. If you are not
the intended recipient, you are notified that any disclosure,
printing, copying, distribution, or use of the content is
prohibited.  If you have received this in error, please notify the
sender immediately by telephone or by returning it by reply email
and then permanently deleting the communication from your system. Thank you.