Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Whole Disk Encryption Tools

From: Chris Green <cmgreen () UAB EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 11:33:11 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: jack suess [mailto:jack () UMBC EDU]
Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2006 11:00 AM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] Whole Disk Encryption Tools

I'm curious is anyone is looking at Windows Vista and its Encrypted
file system. I know plans are in flux with VISTA (though it is
supposed to come out 1st quarter of 2007). I was thinking about this
and it looks to be an interesting solution.  It will integrate in AD
and can be mandated automatically through AD policies. It has the
ability to do a master password override and looks somewhat promising
to me.

I'm guiding an intern through the evaluation process for BitLocker & EFS
and finding out what we need to do sensible encryption and key recovery
for AD.

I'm hoping that it ends up being the sensible long-term solution. Once
you get the certificate services in place for AD, IPSEC is another test
project away.  I really do not want to have multiple vendor issues when
calling premier support for things at the FS level if I can help it.