Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Whole Disk Encryption Tools

From: jack suess <jack () UMBC EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 12:00:16 -0500

I'm curious is anyone is looking at Windows Vista and its Encrypted
file system. I know plans are in flux with VISTA (though it is
supposed to come out 1st quarter of 2007). I was thinking about this
and it looks to be an interesting solution.  It will integrate in AD
and can be mandated automatically through AD policies. It has the
ability to do a master password override and looks somewhat promising
to me.

I bring this up because I'm thinking that for some of the areas we
want to force encryption we might just push this as a first group to
be using vista. If for no other reason than Vista looks to have some
nice security enhancements. Saying that, if you have to roll this out
en-masse right now VISTA is not a solution. I'm just expecting that
rolling out encryption will be a multi-year effort on our campus and
as such VISTA might be the long-term solution.

jack suess