Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Gmail, etc. - Forwarding Email to Personal Accounts!

From: Theresa Semmens <theresa.semmens () NDSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 14:22:10 -0600

Connie,

I hear you loud and clear!  What happens when staff and faculty funnel that
sensitive information into their personal account and wife and kids also
have access to that account?  That is a definite breach of confidentiality
in my estimation because those individuals do not have a need to know.  And,
this is just one scenario; there are several more out there, each more
serious than the last one.

We are struggling with this as well.  It's a tough call because so many
claim "ownership" of that e-mail account - getting them to understand that
the institution owns the account is a difficult task.  We do a lot of
education (preaching) to our staff and faculty.  It helps to have
administration behind you.  If some areas for NDSU they are very supportive,
in other areas, they tend to want to "deal with their own."

Have a good day.

Theresa Semmens, CISA

NDSU IT Security Officer

North Dakota State University