Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Assessment Tools

From: "Petreski, Samuel" <samuel-petreski () UIOWA EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:38:05 -0600

A tool that we ran across and have been trying to use in our Security Audits is called Ecora Auditor
(http://www.ecora.com). The Lite version is free and it has a lot of useful information. Besides the main module for
auditing Windows hosts, they also have modules for auditing Unix, Oracle, MSSQL, IIS, Exchange, AD, Citrix, Cisco, and
etc.

From speaking with their Rep. their Professional version has a lot more reports and I think it can be used for a lot
more then just audits. But it is very $$$.

This tool is useful if you want to get an overview of the system from the inside. For a remote assessment I would still
recommend Nessus.

--Samuel

Samuel Petreski
Sr. Security Analyst