Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Product request - Enterprise whole disk encryption for laptops

From: Charlie Prothero <Charlie.Prothero () KEYSTONE EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:32:54 -0400

This has been an interesting discussion...  I have posted in the past
about the network-centric strategy in use at Keystone College (provide
desktop computers in all offices and classrooms, and only terminal
services connections for remote users), but neglected to mention a
product we have used with some success to completely bypass problems
with laptop hard disks - laptops WITHOUT hard disks.

ATLabs makes a thin client notebook, available with Linux or XPe OS,
with more info at http://www.atlabs.com/netbook6500.htm.  We purchased
12 of them to use at registration events, where we need to set up a
temporary "one-stop-shop" for students to come in and get paperwork
processed.  They're also good for training events or any application
where traditional laptops might be stored for some time between uses and
thus fall behind in critical updates, etc; costing you time when you
pull them out for use.

If you looked at this product more than a year ago, look again.  Early
models were inelegant, to be polite.  The current product offering is
much nicer.  The company does not sell direct, as far as I know.  We got
ours through their distributor, JetStar, and worked with Laurie Weinsier
(lweinsier () jet-starinc com) there.

- Charlie