Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Windows Encryption Utilities

From: Harold Winshel <winshel () CAMDEN RUTGERS EDU>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 15:47:42 -0400

That is a nifty feature.

At 02:21 PM 5/25/2006, you wrote:
If you right click on a folder and tell it to encrypt, it will then
automatically encrypt every file in the folder. The folder itself
however remains unencrypted - so it differs in that respect from a
zip archive but is quite fast and convenient

>>> m.rogowski () UWINNIPEG CA 05/25/06 10:35 AM >>>
You're right Harold, it only works at the file level.  Still, not a bad
tool.  I was also impressed when it compressed and encrypted ISO images
of 700MB.

>>> winshel () CAMDEN RUTGERS EDU 05/25/06 12:07 PM >>>
I've tried Axcrypt but, if I remember correctly, it can't be used to
encrypt an entire folder or drive unless you do it file by file.

Harold

At 12:26 PM 5/25/2006, Mark Rogowski wrote:
>Axcrypt uses 128bit AES to encrypt files.  It also does compression.
>The auto execute function is there to provide an easy way to decrypt
the
>file if the receiver does not have the Axcrypt software installed.
The
>receiver still needs the password/paraphrase in order to decrypt the
>file.

Harold Winshel
Computing and Instructional Technologies
Faculty of Arts & Sciences
Rutgers University, Camden Campus
311 N. 5th Street, Room B36 Armitage Hall
Camden NJ 08102
(856) 225-6669 (O)