Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: IP Security Cameras

From: "Jones, Gary" <gjones () CALSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:24:03 -0800

David Brin has a web site:
http://www.davidbrin.com/tschp1.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeni Li [mailto:jeni.li () ASU EDU]
Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2006 9:06 AM
To: SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] IP Security Cameras

<snip from Kevin Shalla>
Does anyone think we're going too far in the installation of
cameras?  While I understand that there are few if any laws
preventing this sort of thing, do we really want to encourage or at
least condone expanding this technology which decreases privacy?
</snip>

Kevin, I would suggest you check out this book by David Brin.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0738201448/sr=8-1/qid=1143132400/ref=pd
_bbs_1/104-9541965-8205553?%5Fencoding=UTF8

It discusses this very topic, and it will make you think.

Personally, I'm a lot less concerned about cameras in public places
(where there is and can be no expectation of privacy -- hello, cell
phone cameras?) than about real property records and other public
records being available online freely and anonymously. And Brin's notion
of "watching the watchers" would do much to allay those particular
concerns.

Jeni