Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Exchange Server Virus Scanning

From: "Lucas, Bryan" <b.lucas () TCU EDU>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:34:12 -0600

I support environments with both Antigen and Groupshield on the Exchange
Server as well as AV on other inline devices.

Antigen is my preference, I have worked with it for 4+ years and have
only seen this definition disaster twice, today being #2.  I have less
experience with GS (~1 year) but in that time have seen it have a
definition disaster as well.

IMHO, your risk is about the same.  Being that MS now owns Sybari, I
can't see choosing GS.

As for inline devices or additional layers, I think they are great, but
always secondary and not a replacement for database AV scanning.  One
great thing about an additional layer is today's case.  We were able to
uninstall Antigen and rely on our second layer until we could verify the
solution would work.

Bryan Lucas
Server Administrator
Texas Christian University