Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DNS Hosting

From: Graham Toal <gtoal () UTPA EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2006 17:24:28 -0600

P.S.  Inside our network, the DHCP servers host DNS as well.

Which made me think "bet he uses M$ DNS" which then reminded
me of something more important:

highly recommend to have copies of your DNS on two different
systems - say one M$ and one Linux (or even one VMS if you
still have it).  Nothing worse that critical services being
taken down because your OS was vulnerable to the latest M$
bug-of-the-week club offering.  And keep a primary zone file
handy on your backup DNS just in case you need to make it
primary for some reason.  You'd be amazed how often something
that takes one server down takes all of them down.  A lot to
be said for heterogeneity.