Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Network Device Registration

From: "Kenneth G. Arnold" <bkarnold () CBU EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 2006 09:57:48 -0600

We use three methods. The software program TrackIt is used to record the
devices that are used by the faculty/staff (monitor, computer, etc.).  This
helps the group that supports the faculty/staff machines determine what the
user has.  We require that all mac addresses be registered and we use
Network Registrar (NR) for that so all network devices that use DHCP must
be entered into that program.  We even keep network devices that don't
require DHCP in NR.  Since NR keeps only minimal information about the
device there is also a MySQL database which works in conjunction with NR to
record additional information about the network device.  A locally designed
web cgi is used to add, delete and modify this information.  The web cgi
changes both NR and the MySQL database.