Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Example of WMF Exploit SPAM Targetting Schools?

From: "H. Morrow Long" <morrow.long () YALE EDU>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 18:34:53 -0500

We weren't very happy that Mikko put that particular
email message with our domain name in it on F-Secure's
public weblog.  The sender email address is forged and the
content and name at the bottom are completely fictional.

We received many spam and other complaints -- primarily
from recipients in the UK.

Examination of the email headers revealed that most of the
email messages also originated (surprisingly enough) from
UK ISP IP addresses.

Comcast took the webpage with WMF exploit on it down quickly.

Morrow