Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DNS records question

From: Roy Hatcher <rhatcher () PITTSTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 13:46:21 -0600

This piqued my curiosity as well.

http://www.phillipsnizer.com/library/internetlib_subject.cfm?TopicID=37

Most of these cases have more to do with trademark infringement or slander, but
dns redirection does come up as well, especially in the case of Ford Motors vs.
2600. It seems the general legal trend is to rule in favor of the defendant in a
case where a plaintiff is trying to stop a redirect.

--
Roy Hatcher
Systems Administrator

Flagg, Martin D. wrote:

They were using to host a file sharing server locally trying to make it
seem it was external.

The DNS redirect did not cause a problem, and I have done this often
myself.  However, I always had permission.  The question was more a
curiosity as we would not take legal action anyways.