Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DNS records question

From: Alan Amesbury <amesbury () OITSEC UMN EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:16:28 -0600

Flagg, Martin D. wrote:

Does anyone know if it is illegal to register a DNS name that points to
one of the address's owned by the College?

I have a student who registered a DNS name and set it to point to his
own server inside of our campus.  It is against our Acceptable Use
Policy, but is it legal?

No, I'm not a lawyer, so this isn't legal advice.  However, I know of no
reason why setting one's own DNS to point at another address is against
the law.  It's quite common.

Out of curiousity, is this causing you some sort of problem?

--
Alan Amesbury
University of Minnesota